Friday, May 15, 2009

Rescheduling Summer

Email to The Guardian following acceptance onto their work experience scheme

Hi __________,

I'm sorry but I am forced to reschedule and resubmit the form I sent
you the other day regarding my availability for work experience with
you due to a few months ago being diagnosed with an incredibly rare
flesh-eating tropical disease called leishmaniasis which I picked up
from a sandfly in my time in South America last summer. I have spent
the past six months dealing with the wounds and eventually receiving a
tentative diagnosis and since have been waiting for confirmation of
the strain. Yesterday I received the news that not even the country's
top histopathologist has been able to positively identify it. This
leaves things very much up in the air. My consultant suspects
leishmaniasis, however, as there is no lab evidence, he has been
reluctant to treat me for it as the treatment is very severe. With no
further avenues to explore, however, this treatment is to be the
likely next step. This is obviously worrying on my part as there is
not a shred of (lab) evidence that it will help. I will be discussing
my options with the consultant later this month.

The disease in no way leaves me debilitated except the awkwardness of
a couple of large holes in my back. I am absolutely fine otherwise,
as demonstrated by my interview with you and the fact that I am
participating in a 10k run on Sunday for Médecins Sans Frontières, one
of the few organisations able and willing to help people with this
third-world disease.

The treatment is three weeks on an IV drip with a very nasty
pentavalent antimonial being injected into my bloodstream. For this
reason, I will have to stay in hospital under constant monitoring.
However, after the three weeks (and some recuperation) I will be
absolutely fine. Unfortunately, I am about to begin my third year
university exams and so will not have time to complete the treatment
now. I will most likely be postponing it until July.

I therefore would like to resubmit the form I sent you a couple of
days ago giving my availability for the summer placement. I am sure
you will appreciate that this inconvenience to you has been completely
out of my control and I have informed you as soon as possible.

Thanks for the offer of work experience and apologies for being so difficult!

Girish
http://www.justgiving.com/jammastergirish-msf

No comments:

Post a Comment