Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Formal Request For Mitigating Circumstances for 2009 Exams

Hi,

A few months ago I was tentatively diagnosed with a rare flesh-eating
tropical disease called leishmaniasis. It became apparent to me
mid-November (2008) when a wound began opening up on my back which has
had to be redressed every two days since then. I was repeatedly told
by doctors that it was most likely an infected hair follicle and so
they were not keen to refer me to a dermatologist. Mid-February a
second wound appeared and this made me force them to refer me. The
dermatologist suspected leishmaniasis and gave me a biopsy to confirm
the strain and urgently referred me to an Infectious Diseases expert
who I am now under the care of (Dr _____________ at North
Manchester General). Results of that biopsy came through
"inconclusive" over three weeks later. A further biopsy was taken by
the Infectious Diseases department at North Manchester General which
another three weeks later came back with the same result. Another
sample was then sent to the country's top histopathologist Professor
___________ based at St Thomas' in London. This came back a
fortnight ago with the same inconclusive result.

As the strain (or even the disease) cannot be confirmed in the lab, I
will most likely be forced to opt for an incredibly harsh three-week
IV treatment which the consultant refused to give me a few weeks ago
when I wanted things sorted. This was due to its very severe
side-effects. However, now that he has no other avenues to explore, I
am being offered it. I will most likely take it sometime over the
summer with my fingers crossed. I do have a meeting with Dr
__________ on May 27th in which we will discuss the options.

The situation has been incredibly stressful, not just in visiting
either the walk-in centre, surgery, dressing clinic or various
hospitals every couple of days but primarily in learning about the
disease, spending time when attempting to learn physics reading
infectious and tropical disease textbooks.

The treatment I have received from the University of Manchester-owned
Robert Darbishire Practice has done a lot to exacerbate the situation,
as has that from the Walk-In centre at Manchester Royal Infirmary.
Three doctors at Robert Darbishire, and two at MRI Walk-In, were
unable to admit they had no idea and gave advice to 'wait and see' or
'have another blood test'. The first led me to A&E a week later and
the second urged me to force them to refer me. The surgery's recent
policy of refusing to dress my wounds, advising me to go to Moss
Side's Health Centre open for dressings for 45 minutes every day, has
ruined any sense of timetabling that is expected by the University and
my own studies.

Waiting for biopsy results has been excruciating, as was finding out
that the country's top man found nothing ten weeks after the first
tentative diagnosis. Now they're clutching at straws.

I appreciate your help in allowing a couple of extensions over the
year but I now ask you to take the above into account with my exams.

I shall be bringing in evidence of the above to the Physics school
office at some point over the exam period.

Thanks

Girish
http://www.justgiving.com/jammastergirish-msf

No comments:

Post a Comment