Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Treatment (Days 9-14)


No major changes. The side-effect of being tired/having a headache all the time seems to have slightly subsided but then I am sleeping until about 1pm every day after getting the sodium stibogluconate at about 9am. A different consultant (mine is in Cape Town at an AIDS/HIV conference) seemed to agree that the wounds were flaring up and not just infected today which is a good sign.

Today was the first time the phlebotoxicity of the sodium stibogluconate has been a major problem. You may remember me saying that that was the reason for the slow injection of it. A new cannula was put in my forearm a couple of days ago. First dose was fine. Yesterday's stung a bit, even the saline flush. Today's saline flush was incredibly painful and we had to move the cannula further up to the elbow. Fine there. Clearly that vein was slightly thinner or maybe the dose was given slightly quickly that first day. Right arm still quite sore.


Been up and down last few days. Down because not being fully with it all the time means that I can't read/learn/watch stuff that I would do otherwise. Up with the visitors I had over the weekend and having gone out into town this afternoon/evening.

Enjoyed a collection of Jeremy Clarkson's Sunday Times columns which a friend lent me. Didn't so much enjoy Lance Armstrong's It's Not About the Bike about his life and specifically his cancer. It's very difficult to like him through his arrogance. Only a hundred pages in and he does say that the cancer changed him so maybe he's trying to show how just much and will become more likeable later on. I imagine, and hope, so.

Picked up Jeremy Bowen's War Stories from the library today which is great. Nice follow-up to Jon Snow's Shooting History which was the second book I read in here after the Dawkins one, which was good but not as good as Ancestor's Tale.

I know you're not reading this to find out what books and films I like but I will give a mention to the excellent Dead Poets Society starring Robin Williams as an inspiring teacher encouraging his students to seize the day, something I'm trying my best to do in here!

No comments:

Post a Comment